They say feedback is a gift. New information you didn’t expect is a blessing. Surprise is the light of life.
But for your average business person any of these can play out quite the opposite.
The new information that your project will be late. The feedback that your presentation didn’t hit the mark. The surprise that your budget was cut back.
The difference can be made here with how you thread the needle, how you take action.
I ran into this today, deep into an internet rabbit hole. Something clicked with me.
The space between strategy and execution is typically unmanaged.
I spend time creating and articulating strategies. I spend time executing and building. But the thing I’m constantly doing is taking a strategy, assessing our standing and driving a next step — an iteration.
Every once in a while I need to pick my head up and take a pause, survey the landscape and make the next move. In these moments finding ways of keeping myself on the right path and in the right frame of mind is essential.
I’ve always been a quote collector. I wanted to take a bit of that accumulated thinking and create a set of working principles that had meaning to me.
Version one of my directions card was born.
Combining a little bit of the ‘write the press release first’ product management approach and analyzing the intersections of where you and your current company are going is a great way to start a new year and shape your career longer term.
This post is part of the series Four Collaborative Working Modes Take Digital Strategies to Consumer Reality.
Mode #1: User Research and Discovery
User research and discovery is not a task, deliverable or team, it is a series of important experiences that will drive your work long term.
Even the greatest user research document can only be read and experienced as a story in contrast problems you’ve seen and heard resound vividly in your mind and fuels the engine to find a solution. Information directly discovered from users by all individuals who will touch the experience will keep what ...
- The Space Between Strategy and ExecutionAug. 17, 2015
- Simplify your server using Dropbox, Selective SyncApril 9, 2012
- Early Experiments with Web SocketsJan. 20, 2010
- A Hands on Post From and About Google's Chrome OSDec. 28, 2009
- Embedding my first Google Wave into Wordpress!June 3, 2009
- Retweetradar.com gets a new design!Jan. 19, 2009
- I'm a "Web Development Elf" cool?... Yes cool!Jan. 17, 2009
- Responsible Corporate Laptop Stickering!May 29, 2008
- Returning from Web 2.0 Expo - Going to start writing...April 26, 2008